Monday, October 18, 2010

The Questionnaire: Jhina Alvarado

The Questionnaire is meant to be a lighter version of a bio, a little more revealing in some respects and personal without all the facts bogging it down. I supply the questions and the respondents supply the answers. Either one or both of us supply the images.  (NOTE: CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE.)

             J h i n a  A l v a r a d o           


What is your favorite color?

Red

Jhina Alvarado, "Resignation"


What is your favorite word?

Porkchop! Second favorite would be monkey.



What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Creatively: seeing beautiful art, 
Spiritually: sometimes, when it's a really nice, sunny day and I'm driving around San Francisco, I can't help but feel great to be alive. 
Emotionally: sleep and good food.



Jhina in the studio



What turns you off?

Chewing noises and someone cracking their knuckles



What profession other than artist would you most like to be?

I loved being a teacher for 13 years, but I've been there and done that already. Perhaps my next career, after I'm done being an artist, will be something where I can do math all day.



What is your favorite book or movie?

Any book by Amy Tan or Jodi Picoult. Any movie where someone overcomes hardship and lives their dream. I'm a sucker for those movies.





Who is your favorite musician, musical group or style of music?

Jeremy Enigk. If I wasn't marrying Ben, I'd marry Jeremy just based on his talent alone. (Note from NN: this was written some weeks ago before Jhina actually did marry Ben.)


Jeremy Enigk

Jeremy Enigk on MySpace - click to play



What do you most value in your friends?

Loyalty and being there when I really need them, even if it's not convenient. Also, having the courtesy of telling me when I have a booger or my makeup is messed up.



Name three artists whose work has influenced your own or whose work you most relate to.

Squeak Carnwath (influenced early work), Jane Hambleton (relate), and my grandfather, Juan Alvarado (influenced).


Squeak Carnwath, "Be Happy"




Jane Hambleton, "Float II," 2008, acrylic, oil, graphite on paper, 49"H x 50"W






Grandfather



Name an artist whose work you admire but which may be unlike yours.

Timothy McDowell



Timothy McDowell, "Symbiotic Hinge," encaustic on panel, 60" x 46"



What is your idea of earthly happiness?

Good food, lots of naps, and constant inspiration and motivation to paint.



Works by Jhina Alvarado


"Downward Gaze," 12" x 12", oil and encaustic on panel




"Lounging at the Beach," 12" x 12", oil and encaustic on panel.




"The Family," 24" x 24", oil and encaustic on panel




"Welcome Home," 16" x 16", oil and encaustic on panel.



For more of Jhina's work:

www.jhinaalvarado.com
www.risingartist.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jhina_alvarado

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her favorite words, and also seeing Jhina evolve. Thank you for sharing this post!

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks for commenting, Lynette.

I met Jhina at the encaustic conference a couple of years ago and have been watching the development of her work since then. Her decision to leave teaching to become a full-time artist was admirable, and the unique paintings that she has been creating in the series based on old photos are nostalgic and contemporary at the same time. I can't wait to see what she does next.